BOB MARLEY & PETER TOSH , GET UP! STAND UP! Diary of a Reggaeophile
Together Bob Marley, Peter Tosh and Bunny Livingston created The Wailers. Bob Marley and Peter Tosh wrote the reggae anthem, "Get Up, Stand Up" which inspired the title of the book.
The author, Fikisha Cumbo, through text and photographs relives the era of emerging international popularity of reggae with its independent free flowing lifestyle , intimately documenting these two icons of this music from 1975 through 1983.
Legendary singer Roberta Flack, Marley’s friend, writes the foreword. Fikisha allows the reader to vividly witness these years with Tosh and Marley in their Jamaican homes, “on the road”, in rehearsals, in concerts and through totally uncensored interviews.
This book is a rare gem because it is the only published work to date on Marley and Tosh.Fikisha first heard reggae in 1975 when her friend visited Jamaica bringing back the albums, CATCH A’FIRE, BURNIN’, and NATTY DREAD which ignited her passion for reggae. Through friends who managed Tosh and worked in Marley’s band she was around Tosh and Marley in New York. Her first portrait photos are those taken during her 1975 interview with Bob who inspired her when he told her in his Kingston home, “You take some different kind’a photo.”
The book has 22 chapters with 16 pages of color photographs contributing to over 240 that have never been seen before. Chapters 2 and 3 are brief biographies of Marley and Tosh, chapters 3 through 16, 20, and 21 are the author’s actual experiences with these great artists, chapter 17 looks at their impact on society while chapters 18 and 19 listen to Tosh and Marley’s mothers, Rita Marley, Judy Mowatt and Neville Garrick. The “So Dem Seh” chapter gives tributes, comments and anecdotes from friends, artists and associates. There is a brief glossary and an extended bibliography. An exploration of Rastafari and Marcus Garvey round out the book in the appendix. GET UP! STAND UP! holds your interest throughout the book. It puts you there.
This is a limited edition publication. They are sold out but the author offers an autographed one on Amazon.com for collectors.
"Thank you for this beautiful archival work. I love it, and can't get enough. I am reading it slowly (only half way thru!), to savor every scene, and vibe the feeling of being with the Wailers in the I-wah of the Tuff Gong. Backstage, or in the hotel, the vibe is incredible. Your work is not only entertainment for fans hungry for the real personalities and experiences of the giants of reggae music, it is also a significant documentation of a phenomenon that will reverberate through all time to come, and reggae with all its seeming contradictions, will be a little clearer, and easier to take into one's heart and soul, because of your faithful work". "Flutemanjoh", John Reader Houston, Texas and Australia
"I throughly enjoyed the book. I will use it as a reference." Dr. Asa G. Hilliard III Fuller R. Callaway Professor Georgia State University
Bob Marley and Peter Tosh are classic examples of artists who were visionaries and revolutionists. Now, finally the enlightening story told by Fikisha Cumbo. Enjoy! Bobbi Humphrey, NYC Flautist
"I got your book, and I love it. Good info-the real deal!" Steve Turre Shellman,trombonist,composer
Fikishas works and words will live on through many more decades and generations. One of Bobs most prophetic statements came during his 1975 interview with Fikisha and has been re-printed time and time again in magazines, and books from all over the world and even used on numerous posters too. I think it is one of the most universally known quotes from Bob: My music will go on forever. Maybe its a fool say that, but when me know facts me can say facts you know. My music go on forever. James Wilson (London) Different Drums Magazine
"I enjoyed the pictures and stories very much." L. Taubman
"This is in my opinion the best book on Peter Tosh. Ms. Fikisha Cumbo's interviews are in depth but more so they are done in a relaxed setting without the normal time contrained setting of most interviews......The book has beautiful pictures never seen anywhere else as they are taken by the author herself. I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in reggae or world music." al b.
Bob Marley and Peter Tosh had a beautiful friendship whose power may have only been topped by the music they made which was truly revolutionary. There are many things that only someone close to the culture can know about and write about.
David Henderson (New York City) Author of the Jimi Hendrix biography SCUSE ME WHILE I KISS THE SKY
"You've produced a gold mine! Every single interessant in Bob or Peter or reggae music will find this book indispensible! Know what you've done! You've created a classic collector's book in its own time. No Bob or Peter record collection can do without it. It is the definitive companion to their works. You know as well as I do that there exist no other....and from the irie girl who was their sister! Wow!"
ON Davis Musician, New York City
"Cumbo's work, unlike many of the other volumes written about these great artistes, is essentially a compendium of personal memories of her interaction with both men. "The book is written in the first person, present and based on the sample chapter posted on her website, about the rehearsal at 56 Hope Road, it is a very descriptive work, painting a colourful picture of the milieu surrounding both these larger than life figures, who she was fortunate enough to interact with on a very personal , normal level."
Norman Munroe Entertainment Editor Jamaica Observer
"Fikisha Cumbo has gone behind the music to capture the performance and personal sides of reggae music greats Bob Marley and Peter Tosh.....
"The writer-photographer captured these two music pioneers in private and uncensored, behind-the -scenes interviews in their homes, on tour, in rehearsals and at performances from 1975 through 1983."
Jared McCallister CARIBBEAT DAILY NEWS (NEW YORK CITY)
"There's some good stuff in this book" Greg Tate Columnist The Village Voice
"The sound of the world, the Universe, the Cosmos lives in the voices of Bob Marley, Peter Tosh and Marcus Garvey. They vocalized what we could not, but we understood and we understand. They were good to us for so long and we love and respect their gift for mankind: the voices of human kindness overflowing, powerfully important." Roberta Flack Foreword Bob Marley & Peter Tosh GET UP! STAND UP! Diary of a Reggaeophile
"Author Cumbo has done a remarkable job chronicling Reggae's royalty and offers brilliantly written text and provocative photos that ignite her passion for this music. This will become a reference book on the subject of reggae ." Audrey J. Bernard New York Beacon
************************** Some people who have acquired GET UP! STAND UP! for their library:
Ky-Mani Marley Steveland Morris (Stevie Wonder) Carlos Santana Amiri & Amina Baraka Ralph Carter- Actor (Good Times) Christopher John Farley - Author "Before The Legend The Rise of Bob Marley"
Farley lists my book in the bibliography of his best selller book on Marley.
Colin Grant - Author "The Natural Mystics - The Wailers". Grant called me for an interview before completing his book on The Wailers.
Vicki Thompson - Mother of Peter Tosh's granddaughter whose father is Andrew Tosh, son of Peter Tosh.
1. Atlanta Mayor The Honorable Shirley Franklin 2. Mr. & Mrs. Andrew Young of Atlanta 3. Dr. Asa G. Hilliard – Professor/ University of Georgia 4. Dr. & Mrs. Michael Eric Dyson 5. Quincy Troupe – author/poet 6. Kevin Powell - hip-hop historian/author 7. Damian “Jr.Gong” Marley – Bob Marley’s son/musician 8. Roberta Flack –singer/composer/arranger 9. Judy Mowatt – singer The I Three – Bob Marley & The Wailers 10. Andrew Tosh – son of Peter Tosh – musician 11. Family Man Alston Barrett – bass player/original Wailer 12. Junior Marvin – guitarist with Bob and The Wailers 13. Terrie Williams – author/ Terrie Williams Agency 14. Tuff Gong - Bob Marley’s company 15. David Henderson – author/poet Jimi Hendrix biography "S'cuse Me While I Kiss The Sky" 16. Beverly Todd – actress 17. Steve & Akua Turre – musicians/composers/arrangers 18. Filipe Luciana – tv and radio personality 19. Bobbi Humphrey – First Lady of the flute 20. Councilman Al Vann – New York City 21. Councilman & Mrs. Charles Barron – New York City 22. State Assemblyman Roger Green – New York City 23. A. Peter Bailey – author/ historian 24. Susan Taylor – Essence Communications 25. Flo Anthony – publisher/tv personality 26. Greg Tate – columnist of Village Voice/ musician 27. Gordon Chambers - songwriter/ singer 28. Roger Steffens – historian/archivist/publisher 29. Nesta Pine – lead singer with The Wailers 30. Zebulon – The Wailers drummer 31. Peter Tosh family – Melody Cunningham/ Jawara McIntosh 32. Mrs. Coke – Peter Tosh’s mother 33. Mrs.. Cedella Booker – Bob Marley’s mother 34. Vivien Goldman – author of "Exodus" ( a book on Bob Marley) 35. Wayne Jobson - producer movie Peter Tosh Red X 36. Audrey J. Bernard – tv/radio/print media personality 37. Danny Simmons - artist/philanthropist/gallery owner/ RUSH 38. Hal Jackson & Debbie B. Jackson- radio personalities 39. Gary Byrd -- radio personality/ musician 40. Sandra Trim DaCosta – Publicist/music business VP 41. Vicki Palmer – VP Coca Cola/ liaison to CEO 42. Cynthia Tucker- editor/editorial page /Atlanta Constitution 43. Ozzie Brown –publicist/former Peter Tosh manager 44. Herbie Miller – historian/ former Peter Tosh manager 45. Laurie A. Cumbo – Director /MoCADA Museum 46. David Levy – WLIB radio personality 47. Ann Tripp - WLIB/WBLS radio personality 48. Vinette Price – newspaper columnist 49. Jitu Weusi - educator/community activist 50. Dr. Segun Shabaka – Kiwaida organization/educator 51. Myrna Williams - chef/restaurateur/musician manager 52. Habte Selassie – radio personality/writer/educator 53. Ken Williams - radio personality 54. Synthia Saint James – renowned artist 55. Tom Tyrrell – writer/photographer 56. Mel Wright - photographer 57. Bernice Green – Our Times Press 58. Bernard White – program director/WBAI FM 59. Dred Scott Keys – WBAI-FM 60. Osei Terri - radio personality/ South Carolina/NPR 61. Reverend Herbert Oliver – educator/activist 62. Carol Chrunkshank- national radio programmer 63. Ann Tanksley - renowned fine artist 64. Leroy Campbell – renowned fine artist 65. Loris Crawford – Director/Savacou Fine Art Gallery 66. Sadikisha Collier – renowned fine artist 67. Maxine Walters – movie producer-Jamaica 68. K.Mensah Wali - music concert promoter 69. Wali Muhammed –bassist/son-in-law of Ossie Davis & Ruby 70. Carla Reuckert -L/L Research 71. Lt. Commander Dr. Peter Thomas -CDC / ATLANTA GA 72. Brian Smith -CEO -BS Construction/Inspection Houston, Tx. 73. Shrine of the Black Madonna - Houston,Tx. 74. Malika Lee Whitney-co-author Bob Marley - Reggae King of the World 75. Una Mulzac - owner Liberation Bookstore Harlem,NY 76. Gloria Patterson - Superintendent Atlanta Pubic Schools. 77. Amanda Davis - Anchor/ Fox 5 / Atlanta Ga. 78. Attny & Mrs Felher Ward - Board of Trustees Atlanta Falcons & Emory University 79. Dr. Paola Alberta Paciucci - NYC 80. Dr. Barbara Yarn - Anesthesiologist Chief of Staff Atlanta, Ga. 81. Dr. Maria Padilla - Pulmonary/ Mt. Sinai/ NYC 82. Dr. Michael Wald - Board Certified Nutritionist Mt. Kisco, NY 83. Dr. Michael Konig - Chiropractic Medicine, NYC 84. Melvin Lacy Scott -Former Director of Photograph: Life Magazine. Picture editor of GET UP! STAND UP! 85. Jo Ann Cheatham- Publisher Pure Jazz Magazine 86. Dee Scott- Director Brian Smith Inspection/Construction/ Houston ,Texas 87. Barbara Wilson - Haitian Art Gallery owner 88. Mari Toussaint - Haitian Jazz Sensation 89. Aminisha Black - Columnist Our Time Press 90. Bernice Green - Out Time Press 91. Isaac Fergusson - Writer 92. Jared McCalister - Columnist Daily News 93. Latifah Chinnery - Travel consultant/ entrepreneur 94. Jean Thomas - Philanthropist/ Atlanta, Ga. 95. Carlos Sampson - Administrator retired/ Los Angeles 96. Chaney Douglas - Playwright, Harrisburg, Pa 97. Marilyn Green - Stock Market/ San Francisco 98. Malcolm Boyd - Travel consultant/ San Francisco 99. Attny & Mrs. Felher Ward-Board of Trustees Atlanta Flacons and Emory Uni. 100. Attny Franklin Thomas - Atlanta, Ga 101 Ron Thomas - RT Properties owner / Atlanta 102 Donald Thomas - Director RT Properties/ Atlanta 103 Sue Mays - Computer consultant/ Harrisburg,Pa. 104 Dr & Mrs Gabe Solis - Uni. Professor/ Urban, Ill. 105. Steve Douglas - Engineer/Ft. Collings,Colo. 106. Paul Douglas - Engineer/ Philadelphia, Pa. 107. Marcia Griffiths- I-Three 108. Dwight Carson - Poetl/ author NYC 109. Myrnaleah Williams - Caterer/ entrepreneur/music business manager 110. Jo Wheeler - Communications specialist 111. James Sepyo - Renowned visual artist 112. Rita Marley - I-Three 113. Teicha Merritt - Owner The Jazz Spot club 114. Bettina Martin - Medical Technologist / South Field, Mich. 115. B.Glen Martin - Librarian Brooklyn College/ retired 116. Sabrina Green - Revolutionist 117. Wilma Jeff - Sociologist 118. Ray Leitos - Playwight 119. Malik Yusef - Renowned photographer/ graphic illustrator 120. Carla Reuckert - L/L Research / Kentucky 121. Terry Wilson - Midnight Ravers -WBAI-FN / NYC 122. Malik Osei - History Professor/ Medgar Evers College 123. Earl Chin - Rockers TV 124. Jewel Golden - fine artist / collagist 125. On Davis - guitarist / ocular designer 126. Dr. Peter Agho - NYC 127. Teddy Gunn - art director 128. Harriett Ball - originator/ inventor of the KIPP Schools 129. Joy Bell - model/ photographer/ LA & Australia 130. Dr. Robert Lane - dentist/ Brooklyn,MY 131. Milford Edwards - radio program director WDJZ / Conn. 132. Al Santana & Marilyn Nance - filmmaker & renowned photographer 133. Akua Holt - KPFT-FM Houston, Tx. 134. Pierre Beaucamps Ebonge - renowned bassist/ Paris , France 135. Romell Ayo - filmmaker 136. Stan Smith - writer 137. Dr. Abisola Gallagher - Psychology professor 138. Patricia Hinds - Essence Books 139. Dr. Olivia Boggs - University Professor / Atlanta , Ga. 140. Marco Virgona - Italy / bobmarleymagazine.com 141. Madnodje Mounoubai _UN consultant - Congo 142. Gbenga Adebija - businessman/ Lagos, Nigeria 143. Rudean Leinaeng - Library owner / South Africa 144. Donisha Pendagast - Bob Marley's grand daughter 145. Greogry Stephens - writer /The BEAT 146. Ulrich Gueldner - writer/ RIDDEM MAG./ Berlin, Germany 147. The Q Group - London, England 148.Peter Tosh's daughter- Niambe McIntosh
149. Atty. David Woronov - Boston, Mass.
150. Abiodun Oyewole-The Last Poets
151. Ezra Cumbo- Artist/ my grandson
152. Jahan Whitaker- Creative artist; son of songwriter/musician Harry Whitaker.